VIA Daily Mail
A French official has warned of a fresh surge of migrants in Calais trying to get into the UK just six months after the notorious Jungle camp was closed. President of the Regional Council of Hauts-de-France Xavier Bertrand wrote to Prime Minister Edouard Philippe to say a summer swell is imminent. It is expected to bring with it a wave of violence, days after British truckers called for increased protection in Calais following the first serious attacks by migrants since the demolition of the refugee camp.
Bertrand, in a letter seen by the Daily Express, said: 'The situation has become worrisome again.
'I am regularly alerted by road hauliers who are seeing an upsurge of degradation on their trucks.'
Every day residents, elected officials and business leaders express their concerns about the return of migrants to Calais.
'The risk is very real. The security forces are not able to prevent migrants present near Calais to prepare their attempts to intrude in the port or tunnel in order to reach the UK.'
It is just over six months since the vast shantytown was torn to the ground, and some 8,000 UK-bound asylum seekers dispersed across France. Officially, they are all now banned from the Calais area, but a series of 'extremely violent' incidents last Sunday shows they are slowly returning.
'They set up roadblocks using dustbins, and then tried to stop lorries heading for England so they could get aboard,' said a local police source.
'Two windscreens were smashed, while another lorry had its tyres punctured. One driver was taken to hospital with face injuries.'
In turn, Pauline Bastidon, of the Freight Transport Association, said: 'There is a need for urgent action by the French government to ensure that the area is policed adequately, and to protect drivers transporting goods, so that trade can continue to flow freely between France and the UK.'
Ms Bastidon's words were echoed by David Sagnard, president of France's National Federation of Road Transporters, who said: 'The state must do everything possible to avoid migrants setting up camps in Calais again, and then putting these roadblocks in place'.
The attacks took place just after 4am on Sunday, and were 'extremely well coordinated,' said the police source.
'As well as the road blocks, stones and pieces of wood were thrown at vehicles in an attempt to stop them, and to create tail backs which would enable them to get on to lorries.
'Most of those involved managed to run away by the time police turned up, so we do not know their identifies or nationalities.'
Riot police arrived at the scene of the trouble, which was on an interchange between the A16 motorway, and the Calais ring road. Such scenes were routine when the Jungle was full of mainly young men from countries such as Afghanistan and Eritrea trying to get to Britain.
HGV drivers and other motorists were frequently injured, while there were also gang fights between the migrants themselves.
A spokesman for the Pas de Calais prefecture confirmed that it was the 'first time' that migrants had set up improvised barriers in the middle of the road since the Jungle was razed in October.
He said a Czech lorry driver had been treated for nose injuries, and he was released from hospital on Monday.
The prefecture estimates that some 300 migrants are now in the Calais area, while local aid groups put the figure at being closer to 600. It is feared that many more will now start to arrive as the warm summer weather starts. Measures in place to stop migrants getting into Calais port, and the Channel Tunnel, include a £1.9m wall funded by the British taxpayer.